Tuesday, October 28, 2014

[Edison-PTSA] Welcome letter from our new principal


Dear Edison Families,

 

My name is Angela Schoonover and I have been selected as your new building principal.  I want to start by saying I am thrilled to join the Edison family. I understand that Edison has experienced some changes in building leadership, which can lead to uncertainty. However, the Edison community has faced this uncertainty head on and staff has worked diligently to ensure the focus remains on student learning. I feel privileged to join the Edison team as Principal and look forward to getting to know your family. Together, we will continue to make Edison an excellent place for students to learn and grow.

 

As some of you may know, I began my educational career at Franklin Middle School as a 7th grade math and AVID teacher. This experience allowed me to gain a true understanding of the work that goes on at the middle level. I furthered this understanding through my work at Urbana Middle School as a 6th grade math teacher and 8th grade Dean. Most recently, as an Assistant Principal at Centennial, I have learned various aspects of leadership that will help move a building forward. Through conversations with staff, working on District and building level committees, and continuing my own education at the U of I, I have learned a tremendous amount as it relates to educating our youth. I look forward to continuing this process as I learn even more from the staff, students, and parents at Edison.

 

During the next couple of weeks I will be in and out of Edison to ensure a smooth transition. I look forward to visiting classrooms, talking with teachers and students, and meeting with families and community members who are also invested in the future of Edison. I encourage you to call me, stop in, or send me an email to introduce yourself. You can also reach me via email at schoonan@champaignschools.org. I am truly excited about this opportunity and cannot wait to make Edison my new home.

 

Yours Truly,

 

Angie Schoonover